There is an undeniable synergy of entertainment and utility in this open floor plan design. In addition to creating storage and functional efficiency and aesthetics, the renovation corrected structural issues. Gorgeous, full-view windows and doors open up to a lush and private backyard and deck.
This project is the winner of Pittsburgh Magazine 2018 Best Outdoor Design and build, integrating the best of a home's interior with the exterior.
- Larger kitchen
- Better flow of space
- More user-friendly rear entrance from garage for daily use
- Easy access to basement
- Eliminate water problems from existing basement exterior door
- Keep antique furniture & fixtures from Europe where the client resided
- Keeping original architectural integrity of styling while introducing contemporary details and an open floor plan
- How to create privacy in porch area
- Design of the roof for addition so as to accommodate existing second floor's windows
- Limited back yard space at driveway
- Mudroom location and design with elevated main floor
Create cozy seating area with exterior fireplace position on side of porch to create privacy.
Removed existing stone veneer on the interior fireplace in the living and installed panelized fireplace architrave with slate surround and hearth. New built-in bookcases flanking the window seat and new fireplace molding made the room bright with clean lines producing contemporary flare that resonates well with the home's traditional style.